Friday, January 22, 2010

Asparagus with Red Wine Vinaigrette

When I made this vinaigrette tonight, I wasn't so sure how it was going to turn out. I tasted the vinaigrette by itself, and it seemed quite strong. However, I thought I should still give it a try, so at dinner I drizzled some onto my steamed asparagus. Wow! The flavors of the vinaigrette complemented the flavor of the asparagus so well and gave it an extra complexity. Naomi liked the vinaigrette so much that she asked for more! I didn't take a picture, but I wanted to post the recipe anyway so that I will remember for next time how to make this zingy vinaigrette for my asparagus.

Asparagus with Red Wine Vinaigrette
serves 2 adults

Ingredients:
  • 1 grocery-store bundle of asparagus
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 pinch of sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • dash of pepper
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
Instructions:

Wash the asparagus and snap the ends off. Cut the asparagus into bite-size pieces and then steam until tender.

While the asparagus is steaming, mix together in a small bowl the minced garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Then pour the olive oil, one tablespoon at a time, into the bowl while constantly whisking, so that the the vinaigrette emulsifies.

Serve the asparagus on individual plates and let each person drizzle the vinaigrette on their individual serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment