Friday, February 19, 2010

Asparagus with Mustard Sauce


If you couldn't tell, I've been on an asparagus kick recently. Michael really likes asparagus and could eat it weekly, but I tend not to buy it very often because of the price. However, both of the grocery stores I went to this week had asparagus on sale for about $1.80/pound. I was so excited that I bought a couple bunches on impulse. Wow, this is one of those moments when I suddenly feel old: I'm getting excited about the price of a vegetable?!

Anyway, we had asparagus several times this week, and tonight I decided to try a new mustard sauce to go over it. All four of us enjoyed the sauce. It made me feel like I was eating at a fancy restaurant. It's like a Hollandaise sauce, but without the raw egg yolk and with a punch of Dijon mustard instead. If your grocery stores also have asparagus on sale right now, I highly recommend buying some and trying it with this creamy mustard sauce.

Mustard Sauce
makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. plain Greek-style yogurt. Try to find one without any additives. Greek-style yogurt has even less lactose than regular American yogurt, so a small amount of it doesn't seem to bother the girls' stomachs.
  • 1/3 tsp. dried tarragon
  • 1/8 tsp. sea salt; more as needed to taste
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • pinch of ground black pepper, to taste
  • pinch of sugar, to taste
Instructions:

Mix together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, yogurt, tarragon and 1/8 tsp. sea salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil so that it emulsifies with the other ingredients. Then add a pinch of black pepper and sugar. Taste to see if the dressing needs any more salt or sugar, based on your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment