Monday, May 31, 2010

Ogunquit, Maine

Last week we went with Michael's parents to Ogunquit, Maine for the Memorial Day weekend. We rented a three-bedroom house and had a great time exploring Ogunquit and playing at the beach. We also enjoyed our visit to York Wild Kingdom, which is a combination zoo and amusement park. Sabrina especially liked the paddle-boat ride, and Naomi loved riding on a pony. I think I remember reading that they have picnic grounds, so next time we could bring food for a picnic lunch.

On our first night in Ogunquit we went to the Post Road Tavern. We went there in part because the restaurant had advertised that it had some gluten-free options, but the real draw was the Strongbow cider they had on tap. Michael really likes Strongbow, and we don't often find it where we live, especially not draught. Once we got there we discovered that the restaurant was also very kid-friendly. They provided Sabrina and Naomi with games, coloring and activity books, and crayons. The restaurant ended up not having many corn-free options for Michael, but he was happy with the steak and asparagus. In addition, the girls and I got to enjoy some great fish and chips with homemade tartar sauce.

Since the rental house had a grill, we decided to make use of it on our second night there. Just down the road from the house was the Village Food Market, where I purchased some meat, roasted potatoes, and the ingredients to make a spinach salad with strawberries. I could have brought all of this with us to Ogunquit, but I did enjoy my walk down to the food market and back. I also need to remember that there is a Hannaford Supermarket in York, which really isn't too far from Ogunquit. The map shows it as being off of Route 1 in York, Maine. If you take exit 7 off of I 95, then turn right to go south on Route 1 (instead of turning left to go north toward Ogunquit). The Hannaford will be on the right at the second traffic light.

On our last night in Ogunquit we went to the Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant. I was quite pleased with the restaurant: it had good food, quick service, and a nice atmosphere. I especially appreciated the quick service since the girls were hungry when we got there. We ordered some chicken satay appetizers, which were brought to the table in just a few minutes.

I'm not sure that there are many other child-friendly restaurants in Ogunquit that also have wheat-free and corn-free food for Michael. The one other possibility that I saw was Angelina's Ristorante and Wine Bar. I would like to try to go there the next time we visit Ogunquit.

No comments:

Post a Comment