Thursday, August 5, 2010

Asian-style Coleslaw


I have been on another cabbage kick recently. This recipe for Asian-style coleslaw came about as I was searching for new ways to make coleslaw without using mayonnaise. Sigh. I know some people don't like mayonnaise, but I really do. I know it sounds gross, but I could eat mayonnaise straight from the jar. However, mayonnaise is made from eggs, and since Sabrina was diagnosed with an egg allergy, I'm trying to limit our family's intake of egg products at dinner, when we all eat together.

Fortunately, a small amount of store-bought mayonnaise doesn't seem to bother Sabrina, so I am not banning mayonnaise completely from our meals. Oddly enough, store-bought mayonnaise is better for Sabrina than homemade, probably because of whatever has been done to the mayonnaise to make it shelf-stable for months on end. So mayonnaise is one of the few things that it's better if I don't make from scratch, since homemade mayonnaise contains lots of raw egg. In any case, occasionally I will use mayonnaise in dressings, but I'm trying to increase the number of salads and dressings I make that are mayonnaise-free.

This particular coleslaw is great with stir fries or other Asian dishes. The mild flavors of the rice vinegar and green onions contrast especially nicely with the spiciness of Thai food. I have to mention, based on personal experience, that the green onions are essential to this dish. If you don't have them, wait until you do before making the coleslaw. If you are really Asian, like my brother-in-law, you may enjoy sprinkling red pepper flakes on your portion.

Asian-style Coleslaw
serves 2 adults

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of shredded green cabbage (about 1/3 of a small 2-pound cabbage)
  • 1/2 carrot
  • 6 to 8 green onions
  • 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 Tbsp. granulated white sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Instructions:

Finely cut the cabbage into thin strips and place in a medium bowl. Peel the carrot and grate it into the bowl using the large holes on a grater. Cut the root ends off of the green onions, finely chop the white parts of the onions, and transfer them to the bowl with the cabbage and carrot.

In a small bowl whisk together the rice vinegar, canola oil, sugar, and salt. Then pour the dressing over the vegetables, toss to coat, and let sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment