Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cooked Green Cabbage

I know it must seem like we eat a lot of cabbage. I guess we do, if you consider about once a week a lot. My reason for eating cabbage regularly, besides the fact that it's good for you, is that Naomi likes it. Naomi is our pickier eater, but she'll eat cabbage in whatever form I make it. This time I had a green cabbage, so I used white wine vinegar and lemon juice to add some flavor. I tried to take a picture of the cabbage, but it didn't turn out all that well, I think because I haven't yet adjusted my picture-taking to the fading light at dinnertime. I guess summer really is almost over when we have to turn the lights on to eat dinner at 6 pm.

Cooked Green Cabbage
serves 3 adults

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 of a small yellow onion, chopped, OR the white parts of 4 to 6 green onions, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 pound of green cabbage, shredded (about half of a head of cabbage)
  • 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. granulated white sugar
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley (or 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped)
  • 2 Tbsp. water
Instructions:

If you are using a yellow onion, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Saute the onion until it has softened. While the onion is cooking, shred the cabbage. When the onion is tender, add the other tablespoon of oil, the shredded cabbage, vinegar, lemon juice, sea salt, sugar, and parsley. Toss so that the cabbage is coated completely with the oil, vinegar, and other ingredients. Then add the water and stir.

If you are using green onions instead of a yellow onion, heat the two tablespoons of oil at the beginning and then add the green onion with the rest of the ingredients when the oil is hot.

After you have stirred the ingredients together, cover the pan with a lid and let the cabbage cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it has achieved the texture you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment