Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Spinach Dip


For New Year's Eve this year I decided to make spinach dip.  This dip and I go way back.  I've liked spinach dip for as long as I can remember.  My favorite store-bought spinach dip was one my mom would buy when my parents lived in Oakton, VA.  The secret to that dip?  Water chestnuts.  Chopped up water chestnuts add the perfect bit of crunch to the dip.  After I moved to Vancouver, BC and my parents moved away from Oakton, VA, I needed to figure out how to replicate the fabulous Oakton spinach dip.  Using a Cook's Illustrated recipe, I started playing around with the ingredients until Michael and I decided that it was just right. 

This week, when I went to look up the recipe, I could hardly believe that I've been making this dip since 2002, close to the beginning of my cooking adventures.  This fall I developed a dairy-free version, since that is easier on our stomachs now.  However, I've also included the version more similar to the original for those who need to avoid tree nuts. 

Spinach Dip

Ingredients:
  • 10-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach 
  • 8-ounce can of chopped water chestnuts
  • 3 or 4 green onions
  • 1/2 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp. dried dill
  • 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper (or, for less kick, use 1/8 tsp.)
  • Dairy-free option:  1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Hellman's original mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plain almond milk, and 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • Nut-free option:  1/2 cup Hellman's original mayonnaise and 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream (Use a brand like Daisy that contains just cultured cream.)
Instructions:

Defrost the spinach on a plate in the microwave.  When you are able, break the spinach into small chunks to speed up the defrosting process.  (Be sure to use the defrost setting so that the spinach, and your fingers, do not get hot.  Ask me how I know this.)  While the spinach is defrosting, put the water chestnuts in a food chopper and chop them until they are in small pieces.  Set them aside in a small bowl.  When the spinach is still cool but no longer icy, place it in a dish towel and wring the towel over the sink to remove as much excess liquid as possible from the spinach.  (Be sure to use a towel that you don't care too much about because the spinach will turn it a greenish hue.)  Return the spinach to the plate.

Chop the white parts of the green onions and place them in a separate bowl.  To this bowl add the parsley, salt, dill, garlic, black pepper, onion powder, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper.  Add either the dairy-free option or nut-free option of mayonnaise plus the remaining ingredients.  Stir all of these together.  Then stir in the defrosted spinach.  Transfer the spinach mixture to the food chopper and chop until the spinach is in small pieces.  Pour the dip back into the bowl and stir in the water chestnuts.  Transfer to a serving bowl and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

1 comment: